Thursday, July 10, 2008

WHO GETS TO TAKE CARE OF MOMMY

I was pondering recently, who of my precious six children, would care for me in my elder years. It seems the thirties have nearly passed me by and forty doesn't seem nearly as old as it used to! Fifty year old people are mere children now. Oh how times are changing. As I reflected how time was getting away from me, I reflected over each of my children's personalities. Each child has his own little quirks and I get along with some better than others, due only to personality differences. My thoughts came to rest on Cassie. She had played with dolls earlier than any of my other children, rocking them all so sweetly and tucking them in bed at night with a prayer! She even nursed her baby dolls along side of me when Charity had been born. My precious little Cassie! I decided to set her down and discuss the delicate matter of my aging and the things I would need. Why not get the matter settled now. [so what that she is only 6. I needed peace of mind.] The moment seemed right for our little heart to heart, and it went something like this! "Cassie, mom has something to ask you." "What Mommy?" was her reply. "Well, I was wondering, do you love me?" "Oh yes, I love you so much Mommy!" she very quickly responded. "When mommy is too old to brush her hair will you brush it for me?" I asked. "I love to brush your hair Mommy." she said in her sweetest little voice. Things were going quite well. What had I been worried about? Of course Cassie was the right choice! All the time I have invested and will invest in her is definitely going to pay off. "Well Cassie," I continued,"when mommy can no longer feed herself will you cook all my favorite things to eat and feed them to me?" Her answer came quickly," Mommy, I love to cook and I will make you all your favorites and even take you out to eat sometimes." We were in the home stretch now. "Sweetheart, Mommy was just wondering, when I am too old to wipe myself will you....." At this point she interupts me with,"Mommy,will that really happen?" I believe in always telling your children the truth so of course I told her "Yes!" Her profound statement to that was,"I will have to kill you then before that happens." I sat there stunned. My sweet little girl. Where did I go wrong? I think maybe I gave her more information than she was ready to handle. I still have five other children to talk with,but I am thinking that maybe I should pray that at least one of them gets a really good job so they can put me in a really nice home, where they will pay someone to wipe mommy.

2 comments:

sdd said...

Truth is better than fiction!!

Anonymous said...

You ought to have left well enough alone!!!