Monday, July 7, 2008

Cassie's Salvation


About one year ago, shortly after Cassie turned 6, I began to pray for her salvation. [shame on me for not having begun to pray for it 9 months before she was born] I began to plant seeds in her heart by telling her when she did something wrong, that it was sin and that was why Jesus had to die on the cross for her and mommy and daddy. Each time she would listen a little more, but every time I would get close to quoting Romans 6:23 the discussion would go something like this.... Me: Sweetheart,the Bible tells us that the wages of sin is death.

Cassie: Mommy, let's sing a song.

The next time...Me: Honey, do you know what the price of sin is?

Cassie: How about I help you fold the clothes Mommy?

round three...Me: Cassie, Jesus loves you so much that he gave his life for you!

Cassie: I am going outside to play now.

It became apparent to me that she was not ready. I told my husband that I was not going to bring it up again, until she started the conversation. Cassie has always had a Barbie mentality about the world: 'if we do not talk about bad things,they do not exist."If we think very happy thoughts all things bad will disappear!" Then one day it happened!!!!! In the middle of Wal-mart, Cassie walked up to me and said," Mommy, when we get home,I want to get saved. I wanted to make sure that she really did want to talk about it, so I didn't say a word when we got home. We had not been home two minutes when she ran in the room and asked me if I was ready to tell her how to be saved. I told her to let me put away the groceries and we could talk then. She helped me put away the groceries and asked if we could go now! We went to the wash room where I knew we would not be disturbed and I explained to her that the Bible says,"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD. I told her that it meant we are all on an invisible ladder, with GOD at the top, and everyone else somewhere in between, but no one is as good as GOD. I then asked her where she thought she was on the ladder. Her reply," Right under GOD!" I knew she did not understand, at that point, that her sins moved her a little further down on the ladder than that. So, I asked her if she ever got so mad that she hated someone. She said,"Yes." I then explained to her that the Bible tells us that is the same as murder. As we continued on her facial expression showed she knew she was not as good as GOD! A few moments later, she bowed her head and asked Jesus to come into her heart and to save her!! It was the most precious experience of my life!! That was a little over 6 months ago and we have seen the Lord change her little life and make her into a young lady who seeks forgiveness very quickly and wants to please GOD in every way, often asking the question, " Mommy does this make Jesus happy?" If only I were as careful with my own actions asking, "Jesus does this make you happy?"

2 comments:

luvmyboys said...

That is so awesome. We are doing the same thing with Ethan right now. He likes to say Jesus is already in his heart...he doesn't show an understanding really of it all. I think he, too needs more time!

Anonymous said...

What a precious story! Praise God for her sweet spirit. There is nothing any better than seeing your little ones come to the Lord and to have the privledge of leading her to the Lord yourself is even better!Love ya!